Salts in Organic Solvents
- Lithium 101
- About Lithium
- - Product Finder
- - Battery Products
- - Butyllithium
- - Cesium Products
- - Energetic Materials
- - Hydrides
- - Lithium Salts
- - Organometallics
- - Potash
- - Salts in Organic Solvents
- - Spodumene
- Markets & Applications
- Resources / Recycling
- Lithium Sites & Contacts
- Contact Us
Solutions have Advantages over the Use of Dry/Solid Materials
Today, salt effects are frequently used to increase the efficiency of organic and organometallic reactions. In combination with the solvent, salts are affecting all aspects of reactivity:
- Reaction rates,
Solid salts are in general dusty materials. In many cases they are hygroscopic, corrosive, and may cause health damages. Solutions of metal salts in organic solvents ensure the properties required and desired during industrial handling.
The use of ready-made, water-free solutions instead of solids offers two main advantages:
1. Accurate, constant, and easy dosing of the material,
2. Handling in closed containers
- Protects workers getting in contact with the irritant material (health and safety),
- Protects the plant and the equipment from corrosive dusts (maintenance improvements),
- Ensures the product quality (e.g. from moisture, air ...).
Albemarle offers a convenient ready-to-use
- Lithium-bromide solution 30 % in THF as well as
- Lithium-chloride solution 3% in THF,
both with a very low water content.
These solutions might be used, e.g. for the preparation of copper catalysts for Kumada-coupling protocols.